Activities - Events & Festivals
Seiji Ozawa Matsumoto Festival
Matsumoto Performing Arts Center and others : まつもと市民芸術館ほか
Hear World-renowned Musicians from across the Globe Perform in Matsumoto.
The internationally recognized Saito Kinen Orchestra and master conductor Seiji Ozawa join forces to put on this annual music festival in Matsumoto. Top musicians from all over the world gather at this beautiful city at the base of the majestic Japanese Alps to put on a series of concerts every summer. Since 2015, the event has been renamed the Seiji Ozawa Matsumoto Festival.
Held from mid-July to early-August, the Seiji Ozawa Matsumoto Festival showcases some of the best musical talent from throughout the world as famed conductor Seiji Ozawa and the acclaimed Saito Kinen Orchestra headline a series of concerts. Besides full orchestra and opera performances, the members also hold workshops to bring classical music to the next generation.
"Kinen" means to 'commemorate', and both the festival and orchestra were created in memory of Hideo Saito, cofounder of the Toho Gakuen School of Music which was critical in introducing chamber music to Japan.
- Hours :
- Varies by program.
- Date(s) :
- Check program schedule.
- Cost / Price of Admission :
- Varies by program.
- Credit Cards :
- VISA, MasterCard
- Reservations :
- Required(Tickets required. See website.)
- # of Participants :
- Foreign Languages :
Besides at the Matsumoto Performing Arts Center (松本市民芸術館), performances are held at the Kissei Bunka Hall and other locations.
Event souvenirs may be purchased by credit card.
Ticket purchasing and showtime information available on the event website.
tel : +81(0)263-39-0001 fax : +81(0)263-34-3290 Official site
- By Train
- From Matsumoto Station(JR Chuo Line), Head straight out on Route 143. Proceed straight from the station 800m and the hall will be on the right. (800m, 10 min. on foot)
- By Car
- From Matsumoto IC, Take Route 158 east into the city center. 158 becomes Route 143 -- follow it as it goes under the railroad tracks, turns right at Chuo 1-chome signal, and turns left in front of Matsumoto Station. Proceed straight from the station 800m. Hall will be on the right. (3.2km, 9 min.)
- 3-10-1,Fukashi,Matsumoto City,390-0815
- Sightseeing Spots
- Matsumoto City Museum of Art : Museum Featuring Works by Matsumoto's Favorite Daughter, World-Famous Yayoi Kusama.
- Nakamachi Street in Matsumoto City : Matsumoto's Commercial Street with Distinctive Black & White Contrasting Storehouses
- Nawate Dori (street) in Matsumoto City : Frog Street -- Matsumoto's Edo Era-themed Shopping Street
- Matsumoto Castle (National Treasure) : One of Japan's Finest Castles, With the Japanese Alps as a Backdrop
- Daio Wasabi Farm : Japan's Largest Wasabi Farm in the Pristine Waters of Azumino
- Matsumoto's Nunoya Ryokan : Wooden Inn in Central Matsumoto, Featured in Lonely Planet
- Matsumoto's Ryokan (Hotel) Marumo : "Dozo" Storehouse-styled Inn Steeped in Matsumoto's Castle Town Ambience.
- Matsumoto's Hotel Buena Vista : Matsumoto's Landmark City Hotel.
- Matsumoto Marunouchi Hotel : Hotel Located Steps from Matsumoto Castle in the City's Historical and Cultural Heart.
- Hotel New Station Matsumoto : Hometown-Favorite Business Hotel next to Matsumoto Station.
- Say (Soan Annex Zama) in Nakamachi : Soan's Location in Matsumoto's Historical Nakamachi District.
- Ishii Miso Restaurant : Limited Availability (10 Servings per Day) Miso-based Lunch Straight from the 'Kura' (Maker).
- Marumo : Folkcraft-themed Coffee Shop for Coffee Enthusiasts.
- Kurassic-kan : Coffee Shop in a Storehouse Built in 1888, With a Japanese Garden.
- Hikari-ya Higashi : Fine Japanese Dining in a Stylishly Remodeled 130-Year-Old Storehouse.
- Ishii Miso Factory : Matsumoto’s Famous Maker of Aged Miso
- Crafts Fair Matsumoto : Browse Japan’s Premier Outdoor Arts & Crafts Fair.
- 'Temari' Handball Workshop : A Symbol of Matsumoto, Make a Temari Ball as a Momento of your Stay.
- Soba Noodle Making in Matsumoto : Make (then Eat!) Soba at this Premier Noodle Shop 2 Minutes from Matsumoto Castle.
- Guided Tour of Matsumoto Castle : Tour National Treasure Matsumoto Castle with the Helpful ALSA Guides.