Hokusaikan : 北斎館
Actual Works by Woodblock Print Master Hokusai
Katsushika Hokusai is arguably the most famous 'ukiyoe' wood block print artist. Towards the end of his 7 decades of print-making, when he was in his 80s he spent time living in Obuse, the quaint town northeast of Nagano City known for chestnuts (kuri). Here he created some of his greatest works, many of which are exhibited at this museum dedicated to him. The collection includes 4 paintings he inscribed on the ceilings of some of the neighborhood parade floats, the Dragon and Phoenix of the Higashimachi floats, and the Onami (masculine wave) and Menami (feminine wave) of Kanmachi floats.
The museum was renovated and reopened April, 2015 with a new media hall and additional display space.
- Hours :
- Open 09:00-17:00 with entrance possible until 30 minutes before closing. NOTE: Some seasonal changes in the hours.
- Date(s) :
- Closed 31 Dec. and for changing exhibits.
- Entrance Price :
- 800 (high school age 500, middle and elementary school age free, group discounts available). NOTE: During special exhibits, price is 1000 (700 for high school age)
- Time Required :
- 1 hour
- Credit Cards :
- VISA, MasterCard, JCB
- Reservations :
- Not required
- Foreign Languages :
- English, Chinese, Korean, Thai (English, Chinese (simplifed and traditional), Korean and Thai language pamphlets available.)
- Luggage Storage :
- By Train
- From Obuse Station(Nagano Dentetsu Nagano Line), 12 min walk
- By Car
- From Suzaka Nagano East IC, 15 min
From Shinshu-Nakano IC, 10 min
- 485 Obuse, Obuse, Kamitakai 381-0201
- St. Cousair's Winery & Vineyards : “Country Comfort” Winery and Garden Terrace
- Matsukawa Gorge : Picturesque River Gorge with 3 Waterfalls and 8 Hot Springs Districts
- Zenkoji Temple : The Legendary Temple at the Heart of Nagano City
- Nozawa Onsen Sparina : Year-Round Bath House with Onsen Pool
- Aratojo Castle Historical Park : Hilltop Fortress from the Warring States Era
- Guesthouse Obuse : 4-Room Hotel / Tea Shop / Guide Center.
- Vent Vert : French Country-style Auberge in Quaint Obuse
- Guesthouse Kura : International Guesthouse in a Renovated Historical House in "Storehouse Town" Suzaka.
- Uotoshi Ryokan in Yudanaka : Ryokan with a Kyudo (Japanese Archery) Range.
- Yudanaka Seifuso : Family-run Traditional Ryokan 2-min from Yudanaka Station with Private Onsen Bath and WiFi.
- Cafe Waraku : Pasta & Pancakes in a 'Kura' Storehouse.
- Soba Agare-ya : Stone-milled Soba Eaten Around a Hearth.
- Restaurant ST. COUSAIR : European-Style Restaurant Overlooking a Field of Wine Grapes.
- Chanko Cuisine Tamaya : Reasonably-Priced Healthy "Chanko" Stews.
- Enza café & ramen enza : A stylish café and ramen restaurant located at the trail head leading to the Snow Monkey Park
- Obuse's Half Marathon : Quirky Half-Marathon in the Quaint Town of Obuse.
- Edo Bento & Gardens at the Tanaka Residence : Eat as a Wealthy Edo-Era Merchant Did with Tanaka House’s Re-Created Edo Bento.
- Zazen Meditation -- With a German Priestess at Horakuan : Practice Zazen Meditation with Guidance in English or German in Suzaka.
- Nakano Clay Doll Painting : Paint Your Own Artistic Nakano Clay Doll.
- Ice Skating at M-Wave : Feel Like an Olympic Speedskater at M-Wave’s Olympic Ice Rink.